Sunday, September 21, 2014

My pets!

                                                                                                                   9-21-14
My Pets!

     I would like you to meet my pets.  I have one dog, named Bailey, two cats named Jamie and Alley, and lastly I have a fish named Mama.  All of my pets have been rescued from the streets of Brooklyn and the Bronx.  These animals were very sick, mistreated, and alone.  I was lucky enough to find them when I did, for their future was not a bright one.
     My dog was used a bait dog and had bites and cuts all over her, she was very skinny.  She was about one and a half years old when I found her, she will be 13 this February.  My black cat Jamie was part of a litter down the block from my job, in Brooklyn.  He was the only cat left and I took him home. He was so sick he couldn't meow, he just laid there with bubbles coming out of his nose, and his eye was swollen shut.  I took him to the vet, and he is now a handsome long haired black cat that is almost two years old.  My youngest cat, Alley, is still a kitten.  I found her on the way to work, where I stop and feed the stray cats, she was meowing so loud.  It was snowing, very cold, and she was so scared.  It took me forty minutes to catch her, down an alley, thats why her name is, "Alley Cat"  She was so tiny and soaking wet!  I took her to the vet, and she had, ear mites, and was dehydrated.  She is now a healthy and spunky kitten that loves to play!  Mama was my class pet, that now lives at home with me.
     I feel so lucky to have saved my pets, because  they saved me too!


Jamie & Alley


Bailey


Vocabulary:

1.  pets ( noun)-An animal that you take care of and love.

2.  rescued ( verb)-To save from a dangerous situation.

3. sick ( adjective)- Ill or being unwell or unhealthy.

4. mistreated (verb)-To treat badly, or unfairly, cruel.

5. alone (adverb)-Having no one else there.

6. bait dog (noun)-setting an aggressive dog to attack or kill a defenseless dog.

7. skinny ( adjective)-A part of the body that is very thin.

8. meow ( verb)-A sound a cat makes.

9. vet ( noun)-An animal doctor.

10. kitten ( noun)-A baby cat.


Task:
*The vocabulary words are all mixed up. Unscramble all of the letters and write the vocabulary word correctly.

1.  ynsnki-  ___________________________

2.ttenki-  _____________________________

3.eanol- ______________________________

4.etv- _________________________________

5. owem- ______________________________

6.taib god- ______________________________

7.ckis- _________________________________

8. step- _________________________________

9. dcesure- _______________________________

10.  stmidetrae- _____________________________


Grammar Point

Adjectives are words that describe something.  Like he was a hairy bear or scary bear.  Hairy and scary describe the bear.  Look back in the reading about "my pets" and identify all of the adjectives.  Draw an illustration to represent the describing adjectives and create one of your own as well with an illustration.

1 comment:

  1. I love your story about you saving your pets! I too have rescued pets and it gives you a good feeling inside that you have helped them. I especially like your comment when you said that your pets saved you as well; very moving! Your activity was very original and fun. It makes the students think about the vocabulary words in a different way. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete