Monday, September 8, 2014

My first day, again!

My first day of college, again!  I find myself sitting in a familiar classroom, with a familiar feeling, and it begins once more.  I think no matter how old you are, what language you speak,  how many degrees you have, and how optimistic you are the first day still makes you nervous.  I made sure to get to class early, but when I arrived nobody else was there.  I sat alone with crazy thoughts racing through my mind like, "Am I in the wrong room, was class cancelled, is it the wrong day?" Why do people make themselves crazy over new experiences?  I think it is in our nature, to worry and then to realize it is ok and to relax.  The professor came in with other students, and all of my worries disappeared.   It doesn't matter if your 5,  25 or 65, the first day of anything give us butterflies in our bellies! My first day of college was a old feeling with a new beginning. 


Vocabulary;


1. familiar-(adjective) Well known


2. optimistic- (adjective) To feel hopeful or confident


3. nervous-(adjective) To feel jumpy


4. cancelled-(verb) To put a stop to something


5. professor-(noun)  A person who teaches at a college


6. disappeared-(verb)  To not be visible


7.  butterflies in your belly- (idiom) To feel anxious




Task;

Choose a vocabulary word from the word bank above and write it in the blank that best completes the sentence.

a. The college ___________________ was very helpful the first day of class.

b.  The girl felt very _________________________ that she will do well in her classes.

c.  Our concert was ___________________________ because of bad weather.

d.  The kitten __________________________ behind the curtain.

e.  It was my first day of class and I had, ____________________________________________ because I was _________________________.

f.  In gym we played a game of hopscotch.  I am very ___________________________  with it. I play all the time.


Grammar Point

Verbs are words that show an action, someone or something is "doing" something.  He jumped over the puddle.  The word "jumped" is a verb and describes the action the boy is doing.  Reread the story about, "my first day again" and draw a square around each verb or action word.  Write a complete sentence using the verbs you found and two of your own verbs as well.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to your passage, new experiences are always a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing! The idiom is a really cool addition to this blog post! I have giant sized elephants in my belly all the time. I especially get anxious as I near the end of my course work. I know how to be a student but I am super nervous to move on to becoming a teacher. I am a creature of habit (and there you have another idiom).

    ReplyDelete