Saturday, November 1, 2014

Vineyard Time!

                                                                                                               November 2, 2014



Me & Mom at Vineyards

Vineyard Time!

     The vineyards are a beautiful area east of Nassau County.  You can visit most of them all year long, but personally, I feel the most beautiful time of year there is Fall.  The trees are full of colors, leaves are falling, vegetables are fully harvested, and the aroma of freshly baked pies fill the brisk air.  My mother and I visit the vineyards quite often, and I want to move there eventually.  We visit friends that own different vineyards and stores. While we're there we taste wines, dine on amazing foods, and shop.  This is the time of the year when the wine is fermenting, and it attracts many ladybugs.   It is very peaceful and relaxing, listening to live music and feeding livestock.  



grape vines

ladybug
                             
Vocabulary:

1. vineyards (noun)- A place to grow grapes for winemaking.
2. beautiful (adjective)-Delighting the sense and mind.
3. visit (verb)- To go and stay at a place for a short period of time.
4. harvest (noun)- The gathering of crops.
5. brisk (adjective)- To be active and cool outside.
6. dine (verb)- To eat your big meal of the day.
7. ferment (noun)- When yeast and organisms for bacteria.
8. ladybugs (noun)- A small round lightly colored insect.
9. peaceful (adjective)- Free from stress or disorder.
10. livestock (noun)- The animals kept and raised on a farm or ranch.


Activity:

*CUBE - Students roll dice and say theall the vocabulary words and then use them in a complete sentencein addition to writing them down in their grammar books.
ex: vist- I visit the zoo with my aunt.


Grammar Point:

Alphabetical Order is an important activity that helps you look up words in a dictionary quickly.  When place words or objects in ABC order you start by looking at the first letter of every word and start with the beginning of the alphabet.  For example, if you have any words that start with the letter "A" that is your first word to list.  If you have more than one word that starts with the letter a you must look at the second letter as well.  Place all of the vocabulary words in ABC order. It has been started for you.

1. beautiful
2. _______________
3. _______________
4. _______________
5. _______________
6. _______________
7. _______________
8. _______________
9.________________
10. _______________


2 comments:

  1. I have never been to the vineyards in my life but the amazing description you gave makes me want to go! It is super nice that you and your mother get to spend time with each other. I wish me and my mom had time to spend together...she works way too much with her 4 jobs. We both work too much. I look forward to Mother's day together, and maybe I'll take her to the vineyards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had an amazing time. Your entry made me want to go though I have no interest in wine whatsoever. Good definitions and activities!

    ReplyDelete